SEO Crash Course
This 3 step crash course will help you understand what is required for achieving a higher google SEO ranking.
1. Themes & Plugins
Clean and Simple Web Design is what people want these days. People aren’t that impressed with flashy bloated themes. They just want to go to the site, find the infomation they want and leave and to be done in a timely manner. Distractions of animations loading and poor user interaction and navigation is really just a nuisance rather than something nice to look at.
- Keep plugins to a minimum. More plugins means more risk of things going wrong on updates.
- Make sure theme is lightweight. Keep it clean and simple.
- Make sure your body text is black text on white background.
- Use Pingdom on your site to find out how many request files it uses. If its over 50 then its a bit on the high side.
- Need to have good quality content.
- Check for grammar and spelling.
- Don’t copy texts from other sites, the text needs to be original.
- Use power words like you, free, now or today, new, because.
- Be funny, controversial, emotion provoking, useful/interesting and popular.
- Hire a professional content writer to help if needs be.
- Use Yoast SEO plugin for tips on Content writing.
- Back links from good quality websites.
Speed is key, your website needs to display pages as quickly as possible. So consider server location and how many other websites are on the same box. Below shows you how you can check these two vital pieces of information.
- Speed – Check that your Search console Crawl Stats Time spent downloading Average in milliseconds is less than 500ms.
- Server Location – The nearer your website is to your users the quicker the web page returns (whois.domaintools) Check your server location is near your target audience. Enter your web address and on the info page lookup “IP Location”. Your server should be in the same country as your target audience.
- How Many Other websites are on the same box – Lookup “IP Address” and then after it will say in brackets how many other websites are on the same box. If your website has lots of other websites then this can slow your website significantly (whois.domaintools) Check you have no more than 100 other websites on your server.
For some popular and competitive search key phrases you need patience as it can take 2 years at least to appear on page 1 on google searches.